6.19.2006

Made it to 10.

On this day, the 19th of June, 1996, I left my hometown of Sydney, Australia to come to Prague. 10 years. I didn't stay too long that particular time, but I've been in Europe all that time.

It's been an interesting 10 years. So much has happened, so many changes. What have I been doing all this time? Well,

Um I've been,

Er,

Well there was the time I,

Um.

Ok. Getting stuff done isn't my strong point. But I've not gotten anything done in a lot of places at least.

After my original landing in Prague, I was driven to Česke Budejovice where my relatives live. I stayed with them, sometimes at their chalupa (summer house) just outside of town.

Then I went to London for a short trip. I travelled around England for a week or 2 and went to Dublin. I ran out of money and went picking apples in County Meath. After that I moved to Dublin and got a job in a bar.

I stayed there about 10 months, then I moved to Edinburgh where I worked in a cafe for about 6 months.

After that I left with a friend to London. I lost touch with her before too long, but stayed in London another 2 years. What I did there I'm not sure, but I lived in a few different places, mostly not paying any rent, and went to a few festivals and demonstrations and a lot of parties in condemned builidings.

Then I came to Prague. I worked in a bar for a little bit, then I started an internet business (or sort of helped someone else start one up and I've been doing it since), got my grubby little mitts on a computer and here I am.

I did some film and theatre related stuff too.

I think some of it was fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy European anniversary, or something like that(*), to you! (LB)

*) we all grow older, some become more stupid by time, some less. Those who become more stupid are often those who think they have learned something.

Anonymous said...

A nice milestone. God knows I spent enough time stuck in Australia doing nothing - I'd rather be doing nothing in Prague!

Anonymous said...

Yes, we are a somewhat globetrotting lot. I celebrate 10 years all over the place as well soon.
Don't know if my plan was to end up in a conflict zone though.
Happy Anniversary I guess!