5.26.2009

Tuesday SQNEA #7 - The how many times edition.

Today's stupid question is one I thought of while commenting elsewhere. I was pondering the newness of something that claimed to be "new" complete with quotation marks and I mentioned that it had probably been done "umpteen" times.. or rather "or the umpteenth time". So my question is, just how much is umpteen anyway?

And that leads me to another question. Does anyone ever say "umpteen"? Is that even a word? Is it, and/or can it only ever be used in it's er.. counting stuff tense?

I'd like to know please.

*puts glasses back on*

By the way, according to blogger's spellcheck umpteen is not a misspelling.

4 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

I think "Umpteen" is a parent word. As in, "I've told you umpteen times to clean your room. Now you're grounded."

Michelle said...

Yes, it's definitely a stern, authoritative kind of word. I think it suits my new look, I'll have to use it more.

Well anyway, whatever number it actually is, it's always too much.

Barry Leiba said...

«Does anyone ever say "umpteen"?»[Waves hand.]
And I'm not a parent (though I am apparent, I guess), and, so, there.

I think the proper counting sequence goes something like this:
one, two, three, four, five, six, ...
...um... where was I?... Oh, right...
seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, umpteen, shitload.

Michelle said...

aha... *makes note*