5.04.2006

Sound like someone you know?

Word of the day for Thursday May 4.2006

wag \WAG\, noun:
A humorous person; a wit; a joker.

The master of ceremonies was one Boston, a noted wag, and the occasion seemed to promise the greatest facetiousness.
-- Francis Bret Harte, The Luck of Roaring Camp

Yet the fate of all three reformers was more or less the same. Washington remained much as it had been before. ("Only more so," a wag might add.)
-- Jonathan Rauch, Government's End

Some wag has summed up the three laws of thermodynamics in everyday terms: 1. You can't win. 2. You can't even break even. 3. You can't get out of the game.
-- John Gribbin with Mary Gribbin, Almost Everyone's Guide to Science

Wag in this sense perhaps comes from the obsolete wag-halter, "a rogue; one likely to be hanged."
Yikes!

Interesting though, that they didn't include the other meaning of wag, the "that which a dog does with it's tail" definition. I don't know why. Seems like a poor kind of dictionary that would leave it out.

4 comments:

Jennifer Wertkin said...

Is it the Merriam-Webster dictionary???? Their def's are always bizarre.

Shoilee Khan said...

I now love this word. Thanks for upping my smarts!

t/c

Michelle said...

Now I have to find out what "wniniig" means. I think it's just a random group of letters but it sounds like it should have a meaning, if it doesn't have one I'll have to make it up.

Michelle said...

Smutty? Hm. That which lies under a dog's tail when it is being wagged?

I'm not very good at this you'll have to help me.