4.28.2006

Now I'm truly fornicated.

The saga of finding someone to share my flat with me has reached a new level. That of being truly fucked, as opposed to me just being pissed off that I have to worry about such things and there being a slight possibility that I mightn't find someone.

Now there's a rather considerable possibility that I might find someone. I've had 2 people over the last month that expressed interest and would get back to me, didn't get back to me so I obviously they decided they didn't want it.

Last week I finally spoke with the landlord, told him all of my worries, and we figured something out, not sure exactly what but it's along the lines of I can stay one month without making out a contract and paying the deposit he wants, and then we can figure out what we're going to do, but if I am going to move out I need to tell him quick so he can rent it to someone else.

Of course this depends on if I find someone to share the place, because I'm not paying the full rent. I can if I want but I absolutely am not going to spend my money on space I don't need because I've gotten into this bullshit situation. Anyway I reposted my ad, got quite a response. Some of the people weren't interested once I explained the setup of the flat, some I didn't bother to answer because they either seemed dodgy or were asking questions that led me to believe they wouldn't be interested, but I set up a few viewings for last night that seemed promising.

So, I had 3 people scheduled to come over last night. The first one has a friend coming a month who she wants to share the space with. I agreed to show it to her on the possibility that I might go after a month and they could share the whole flat together, but they don't want to stay for very long so it's unlikely the landlord would want to give one of them a contract. I felt kind of silly showing someone a place that I'm unsure of the situation with, which I think is a setback. That and I'm kind of embarrassed to show people a space which I would never rent myself, or rent out if it was my own doing.

The second one didn't show up, didn't send a message to explain or anything. The third person delayed the appointment by an hour, which wasn't a problem. She'd just gotten back to Prague so we'd sent a bunch of emails back and forth so she had a full explanation about the place and all the information necessary. As I was waiting for her to show up I got an sms asking how to get to the flat from the metro station. I was slightly annoyed because I figured she'd have enough time to figure out where it is and how to get there, and she could have asked in one of the many emails she wrote, but I told her what tram to get and what stop to get off. Luckily I even knew as I never take trams because everywhere I go is so close.

A little later I got another message basically asking how to get to my street. Then I was really pissed off. I'm not very good at giving directions anyway and especially not in an sms. I ignored it and thought she'll call if she has to, then I'll explain it. She sent another couple of messages asking the same questions and finally called so I told her how to get there, she showed up a few minutes later.

So, I showed the flat, everything that's in there, explained about the internet and everything else that was relevant. She just said she didn't like it because it wasn't a private room. Stupid me, thought that I'd explained it clearly and she well knew that beforehand.

Anyway I decided to fuck it, I'll just move. I know of a place near here that offers rooms on a month by month basis that I could probably move to without much problem. I could stay as long as I like which would give me plenty of time to find another, more permanent place. When I got on the internet this morning I found their link again, checked out the website and it said they had rooms available. A little more than I would like to pay for what it is but it's ok for a while.

So I called them, just to be told that there were no rooms available from May the 1st. Great.

So now I'm pretty fucked. I probably have to post the ad again and just hope that someone who hasn't already seen it and rejected it will contact me. Then I have to answer all their questions and show the flat to the few out of them that are still interested. I'll probably have to share with someone who wants it short term, or someone who can't stand the thought of someone being in their room so I won't have a living room and kitchen anymore. They won't be willing to take over the contract in a month so I'll have to do it and I'll be stuck with it.

That or I can look for a flat to move into in a couple of days. Of course when I was concentrating on renting a room in my place there were tons of great flatshares available that were competition for mine. Now they seem to be all gone.

8 comments:

Ronald said...

I'm with Chymera on this one. I know too well the problems you endured in your old place, with it's less than desirable setup, and I was genuinely pleased when you moved. But it seems the gods (or is it gremlins?) are still hell bent on shafting you. What else can I say except to offer you the obvious, but lame obversation, everything changes. Let's hope it changes for the better. For what it's worth, "chin up!", as we say in these parts.

Michelle said...

Well I reposted the ad and I'm having a bit of a response that seems kind of promising. Of course I thought that before. I'll probably be ok, I just don't want to be dealing with this right now, or any time really.

Anonymous said...

Make a FAQ, the "I want to rent a room in [[address]] - FAQ" and attach it to your ad. (LB)

Cranky McGee said...

The title of your blog caught my eye. Did you know that I have a Mutant Parrot? ;)

Yeah, room mate/apartment hunting is one of the worst things in the world. Good luck. I hope things work out.

Michelle said...

A Mutant parrot? I'm intrigued.

Michelle said...

The room available is part of the living area. I have my own room.

Mr Angry said...

Poor Michelle, I re-watched "Snatch" recently or your situation made me think of the rabbit being chased by the dog that Turkish bet would end up "proper fucked"... I hope things sort themselves out soon.

oh, and I can post a pic of a mutant budgie if you like (part of its brain on the outside of its head.)

Cranky McGee said...

Yeah, my Mutant Parrot grows to ten times the size of a regular parrot and has razorsharp teeth in his beak. He mutated after an unfortunate accident with the microwave oven at work.