4.10.2009

What's so good about it then?

Today is "Good" Friday. So called because on this day* 2000 and something years ago** the son of God, our Lord and Saviour, the nicest, sweetest, goodest guy ever, who could do awesome shit like cure blindness was run up a cross and executed in a particularly gruesome manner by some goons, er Jews. Romans. Somebody, for some reason. And believe me we're pissed off at these people.

Then after 3 days he rose from the dead and went up to heaven, which is a bit of a ripoff after all the crying and wailing that went on, and which we're still expected to do to this day even though we know how the story ends. I'm reckoning that's where the "good" comes in, seeing that not only was the event understandably a quite happy one, but saved humanity at the same time, so not a bad couple of days work. Of course on Friday we're not supposed to know this yet, and still be in the weeping and carrying on stage so I don't think it's entirely accurate. Or it's just good because it's got something to do with Jesus and that's good enough for me. Them that is, whoever cares about stuff like this.

It actually is a pretty good Friday for me, here, now. I'm having a day off from doing what I usually do*** and it's sunny and warm and I'm looking forward to a pleasant day. Beergardens may be involved.

*I know, I know it's not the calendar day but the first Friday after the fourth full moon or some jazz like that.. I'm just sayin.

**Actually if Jesus died when he was 33, and this is 2009 then that would make it 1976 years, that's if Jesus' official birth wasn't made up later by some emperor according to what was convenient and has no bearing on how anything was, and if any of it actually ever happened, which as far as I'm concerned is pretty unlikely.

**Not a whole lot as it happens, but still...

2 comments:

Erikland said...

Hey, it was a good day, so that's good enough for me...today's lookin' nice too :)

Michelle said...

Yep.. the whole weekend's been pretty good. Not bad weather gods, not bad..