4.05.2009

Well, I "saw" him..

I did it... I went today to see Barack Obama make a speech at Hradčanské náměstí, here in Prague. I actually got up at 6.. well the alarm went off at 6 and we got up a got going at the time that we did, I had my camera around my neck, phone, wallet and foodie stuffs in the pocket, no bags as they weren't allowed... and for the same reason we didn't bring umbrellas, structures, laser pointer or dogs. Too bad.

We stood on the crowded tram all the way, got off the tram and rambled with the crowd down the hill to the square, where we stood with the crowd for about an hour, edging a few centimetres here and there, until we finally went through security and joined the crowd inside. We managed to find ourselves a spot squashed in the middle of the crowd where we couldn't really see the podium, and could barely see the screen but if you're tall enough, like Erik, you can sometimes catch a glimpse of something if you stand on your tippy toes and people's heads just happen to be out of your particular way at that point.

We milled around for an hour and a bit, taking photos of the crowd, of anti radar balloons and banners (they weren't allowed either by the way) one guy who climbed up a statue with one, but was curiously left alone. Being in such close proximity with people you get to overhear a lot, some of it funny, especially without context.. some examples:

"we need a periscope just like they have in submarines" (funny cos of the way it was said, in a dorky American guy voice.. which obvs does not come over in the written form.)
"I wish I was a sniper, they get to see him properly"

and others which I noted at the time and intended to remember but didn't.

After listening to some bluegrass band for an hour, Mr Obama showed up to stage at about 10:19, having been scheduled for 10:00. There was cheering, waving, people raising up taller with their cameras up in the air... lots of snapping going on.

He introduced his speech by saying he's come to appreciate Czech humour and food over the years from living in Chicago... so nice that he's actually heard of us, something I wasn't expecting :) ..that good a pretty big cheer.

After the intro which got a big cheer, he talked a little about history, said the name "Masaryk" with a pretty good accent, talked some about the connections between our nations, (there are actually a few) the Prague Spring, the Velvet Revolution etc. When he mentioned "And few would have imagined that the Czech Republic would become a free nation, a member of NATO, and a leader of a united Europe." there was a snicker from someone near us in the crowd.

He talked about NATO, nuclear weapons, climate change, North Korea's new shenanigans, Iran and the missile defence system, which.. I'm afraid to say he came across as being "pro" or at least sorta. He spoke about freedom, and terrorism but neither word was used more than a couple of times and in ways that were relevant to the subject. I thought the alliteration used when he listed cities when speaking of potential nuclear bombs ("Tokyo or Tel Aviv, Paris or Prague") a little cliched, but certainly a good speech. grandiloquent than most and a lot more relevant, meaningful, and generally listenable than any by a certain predecessor of his.

I tried to snap some shots but he was too far, too many people in my way and there was this thing in front of his face.. I have a couple of blurry, far off shots from when Erik lifted me up a bit but his face is obscured by it in every one that I have... it's bloody annoying. I did get to see him for real with my real eyes though. Looked very small but he was there. Didn't really pick out Michelle from the group the split second I was able to look at the podium, but I hear she wore a pretty dress. And kitten heels.

When the speech was over we milled forward a bit, as some people streamed out, we got forward a bit as he left the stage shaking hands and saying goodbye to everyone, but not enough people left and I'm afraid I didn't see any of it. So we left.

I must say I was very pleased to go to the beergarden afterwards, just to sit down. Standing, straining and edging no more than a few centimetres at a time is not good for your legs or back. And it was good to have beer.

Erik has more. And he got better photos.

No comments: