4.04.2009

Oh how fucking embarrassing..

You know, sometimes I'm quite happy that hardly anyone has heard of this country and pays no attention to what goes on here.. but this weekend the leader of the free world is visiting, and for a fleeting moment all eyes will be on us, just long enough to absorb an opinion resembling "oh those post Soviet Eastern Europe countries are so backward" before relegating us back to oblivion. I mean if "my" (soon to be ousted) leader knew how to conduct himself in formal surroundingss, we might get away with "oh, that's nice, one of those former Soviet Eastern European countries is in the EU and seems normal and stuff", before being forgotten about until the next important person visits.

But no.. after describing the US stimulus package as the way to hell, inspired by ACDC apparently :) it may not be such a pleasant meeting. I think they were going to go to a pub, but who wants to go to a pub with a dick like Topolanek.. seriously. He's (said dick) also pro the missile defence shield, which wins him no points with normal people.

Yes, the "soon to be ousted" bit has a lot to do with it.. And yes, it's embarrassing to realize that my country is a laughing stock and considered by many to be ill suited to the EU presidency. All I have to say is that living here, as long as you pay absolutely no attention to politics, which I usually don't, you wouldn't be able to tell the country is in turmoil. Really, the beer gardens just opened, everything is real cool.

So, yes. I do intend to go see him tomorrow, nice of you to ask. It's strange, if I'd met myself now a few years and told myself then that I'd be going to see a US president speak, (and it wasn't some kind of huge protest) I would have told myself "are you having a laugh? is she having a laugh?" but.. well I might as well, this will be a cool event and photo op.. and though it's in a place that's difficult to get to on a normal day by metro and tram, and more than half the roads around the place will be closed tomorrow and it's quite near the place I recently was thwarted from going straight to and ended up wandering around aimlessly for hours by some regular roadwork, even though it was a place I used to live near and know very well... I think it sounds like a good idea.

No comments: