2.11.2006

Something else to add to my considerable list of talents.

Now I'm a picture hanger too. I know, it's easy to have a large list of accomplishments if you add stuff like that. And to be honest I didn't actually hang the picture, I just displayed it, we decided not to make the hanging a part of the presentation because there were fewer people to do it than were planned.

But still, it's more difficult than it sounds. You have all these people in your way where you're supposed to walk, and they're all wondering why you're holding up a painting and carrying it around as a guy with a wreath on his head describes them while making a few comments about the presenter herself. It's kind of weird.

After we showed the paintings there was a belly dance done by someone I know. She learnt bellydancing some years ago and does it every now and again when there's some reason to. It had nothing to do with this exhibition/performance but neither did anything else that was in it.

The exhibition was for the art of a husband and wife team, an American, Steve who I met doing improvisation theatre last year and his wife who is Russian. They had a kind of Russian/American theme to it, but like the previous act, the belly dance, most of the show had nothing to do with that theme.

The next item was a song, a comedy song done by a woman who couldn't really sing, but did a good performance anyway. She kind of tired herself out dancing and had to stop for a breath, and then forgot the words. It kind of reminded me of my own karaoke performance a few weeks ago, where I sang badly and didn't know the words to the songs and couldn't read the prompter. I think the audience/whatever you call people who go to an art exhibition liked this one the best as it was quite funny.

Steve performed a few poems, by English authors, then sang "Fly Me To The Moon" with another woman, both wearing masks.

Then a Russian woman played and sang some Russian folk songs. She could actually sing, and was the only act that you could call professional. I'm not snubbing the rest of the acts by saying that, it was a fun, friendly show and I think most people liked it.

Some of the art was pretty good, my favourite was a naked pregnant woman with what looked like a spliff in her hand, but maybe it just meant to be a cigarette, crudely drawn.

Afterwards everyone browsed the paintings. There were a few people I knew there that I chatted with. I had a glass of red wine which gave me a headache and my back was really sore from standing around so long, so I left quite early, but overall it was pretty nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. We too have Pantomime and Farce here in the UK.