2.26.2006

The answer I needed

I was musing the other day about the origins of the expression "goody 2 shoes". I thought it was odd. I came up with a theory that was kind of a stretch, something about 2 shoes, meaning 2 pairs of shoes, but it wasn't really satisfying. Then some Daft Bugger came along, and cleared it up for me.

It derives from the Sado Masochistic practice of beating buttocks with footwear. It's the norm for the submissive to be thrashed severely on and around the arse with a flexible slipper. But if the governess, or mistress deems the underling to have been particularly naughty, then, employing her assistant, otherwise known as 'government aid' (sorry), the wretched masochist is set about by both shoe-wielding attackers. And it's not uncommon for the naughty boy, when realising his fate, to exclaim, with tremulous excitement, 'oh goody... two shoes!'. How ironic that nowadays this has become synonomous with purity of thought and action.
Thanks DB for clearing that up.

1 comment:

Ronald said...

Awww, now I'm blushing. Thanks for the compliment, but without your post it would never have occurred to me. Nothing comes out of thin air. I love bouncing off you, so to speak.