2.14.2006

Love is in the Contaminated Drizzle

I could be cool and be the only blogger who ignored this minor capitalist holiday that is enjoyed by lovers and pining admirers alike, but I won't.

I've never really been into Valentine's Day. I don't have anything against it, but I've never celebrated it. I've never expected a significant other to provide me with any gifts or dinners or anything. I'm happy to let the special romantic moments come when they will.

Of course I used to hate it when I was at school, all the girls would go around showing off the flowers they got, making a big thing of being admired, and I of course had nothing. It's one thing to fade into the background and be ignored, another to have your lack of popularity shoved in your face.

And indeed I was all prepared to be bitter and miserable today, as the lovers walk the streets being romantic, and the Valentine's Day specials are advertised around the place. A luxury only the forgotten, dumped, jilted and loveless can have.

But, as it seems I was right, and "I miss you" means "Mr Hand has gotten very tired after 6 weeks and I'm horny" and a meeting the other night worked out pretty well for me. I think.

I won't be doing anything special today, but it's ok, there'll be other days, but at least I can be happy for those having a nice day today without being bitter.

And for those of you poor souls who are suffering the great pain of missing someone they love. Tough! I've had to deal with heartbreak and loneliness and I don't see why anyone else shouldn't have to!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For most, it's purely sentimental, having no basis in reality. Couples, at each others throats 364 days of the year, buy cards and swap presents as if this very gesture validates their togetherness. It's often a front for the world, the need to show friends and neighbours you've got it 'right'. I guess I mean it's Bullshit.

I'll be out this lunchtime buying a card and a present, resenting having to do it. But it's all part of the 'Politics of Relationships'.