8.03.2010

Too many mistake's people!

I've noticed recently.. and I don't know if it's that I just seem to paying attention to it more, or if it's more prevalent in places I've been reading more lately or there are just more people doing it now.. as opposed to some vague time that came before what I'm putting under the "now" heading but fuck there are a lot of poorly placed apostrophes around!

Try saying that three times quickly.

Poorly placed apostrophes.

I know I've written about this before and for more people it's not the most riveting of subjects.. although for those who find it riveting it is very riveting indeed.. but I just had to say it. I think it might be because.. I dunno, it might be because I'm reading a lot of otherwise well written pieces and comments who have a habit of apostrphying everything that ends in an s, with nary a clue that it's wrong. And people do it more than once in the same text.. so it's clearly not just a typo.. they just don't know!

It's perplexing. There is a lot out there that's just big mess of poorly written, badly spelt, run on paragraphs, all caps grammatically horrific crap... and in those places I don't think anything of yet another mistake.. but why oh why do so many people.. people who otherwise know how to write good.. do this?

Why?

7 comments:

Matea said...

I know, it's a shame how some people can't write well. I have always thought that native speakers of English don't make that kind of mistakes, but I guess that has nothing to do with that. English is not my first language but a foreign language and I always have this fear that I'll misspell sth, but I always try to at least check it before I write.

I think it's great that you've mentioned this issue, people really should pay more attention to this..

have a great day!

xoxo

Ronald said...

Hmmm... maybe I'll have to go back and check my comments, as I know I occasionally write "its" instead of "it's" and vice versa. Second thoughts, if I've already done it, then tough...

Michelle said...

sweetmouse..

I often find that native English speakers are the worst offenders with writing and spelling in general.. most people I come across online write and spell very well... of course that pool is limited to people who speak well enough to write and choose to converse in English so perhaps that's why.. that and I'm less forgiving of people who grew up speaking the language..

Michelle said...

Is there such a word as "its"

*ponders*

actually leaving out apostrophes doesn't really bother me, and I'm sure I leave them out myself sometimes.. deliberately, when I'm writing stuff I don't bother to capitalize properly or whatever...
it's the unnecessary addition of the apostrophe which just rubs me in an unusual and very negative way.. why oh why would someone go to the effort to press the shift key and another key with their pinky to put in a mark which DOESN'T NEED TO BE THERE!!!?

It's been said, in fact gone on at length about before, so I won't go into it now *she says after having gone into it just now*...

Michelle said...

Having said that..

there are times I've made the mistake myself, in fact I've caught myself at it more than once... and I know it's easy to fuck up when you write kind of haphazardly like I do.. or in comments of blogs and whatnot where you don't spellcheck and proofread so much... no one is perfect so I wouldn't worry if you're one who sometimes has the stray apostrophe.

It's the people who SIMPLY DON'T REALIZE IT'S COMPLETELY UNECESSARY AND WRONG that bother me.

but I've said it before so I won't go into it again :)

Ronald said...

Yes, there is such a word as "its", as in, "Its colour was red". I believe it's called a possessive pronoun, and is used when referring to a property of something, as in the above example :-)

Michelle said...

oh..

*feels more informed about stuff*