8.31.2010

The second that lasts a lifetime..

or at least a minute and a half.

Yesterday I had a bit of a fall. Some of you may have heard this already, but I'll retell the story here. I was on my way out, in my sickly state, to do some business. I wasn't really in the mood to go out at all or to do this thing in particular, which was to register with a casting agency if you must know, turned out it was mostly just filling out a form, but they did take some photos of me on not exactly my best day. Anyway, as I was walking down the stairs of my building I debated to myself whether to bother looking in the mailbox or not.. and as I got to the last step I decided yes I would, while glancing at my phone to see the time. And then, I don't know if it was the change in step, or my slightly woozy state or being on the steps but I lost balance. My left foot sort of caved under me, and twisted around.. and in that second, or half a second I first thought oh shit I've lost balance.. then I thought I'd just wobble a bit and be alright, then I realized I couldn't, maybe I could hang onto the rail or something.. not exactly in this order or those exact thoughts... I just know there was a few points before I realized "this is it, I'm going down". And down I went... from the moment I realized it was definitely happening and I was powerless to prevent it, it seemed like another minute.. and I had another few points.. will I hurt my ankle, will I fall hard, will my phone fly out of my hand and go to pieces.

So I fell, pretty hard. My phone flew out of my hand and went to pieces. I sat there for a while, with my foot feeling pretty sore, and at this point I had no idea how bad it might be, I might be unable to walk. I was pretty unhappy right at that moment. After a second I got myself up, picked up the phone, put the battery in and all that.. and managed to walk ok. I was fine.

Today I felt it again. My ankle has been bothering me, but more in a "day after I've done something strenuous" way than a "twisted" way, and in any case it would have been a problem yesterday if it was a serious problem so I'm glad at least of that.

But I'm still feeling poorly. I've been promoted to having a really bad, loud constant cough. I'm really looking forward to this thing going away completely.

5 comments:

Ronald said...

Phew! Thank goodness you weren't carrying your laptop computer, that would have been a disaster of monumental proportions!

Seriously, it makes you think, doesn't it? At any time, we can lose our most loyal and beloved readers. Do you think as bloggers, we can get insured against this? The insurers could maybe pay out by replacing the loss, with a proven blogster and commenter?

Michelle said...

Interesting thoughts. And yes.. I am as glad that the trusty modern phone is impervious to almost anything.. really, I've never had a phone actually break on me.. or stop working.. completely.. I've had beer spilt on them and had them crash to the ground many times and they always work.. a laptop might not fare so well.. and generally has a lot more important stuff on it.. of course that stuff would be on the hard drive which would still be there an accessible if you put it into another compatible computer or an external hard drive reader on a different computer but it sucks enough to not have a comp working.. trust me, I know.

Er.. what else was were we talking about?

Ronald said...

It's the inconvenience of not having one's machine, of being invisible, in the cyber sense. I swear, it's worse than giving coffee up!

Oh, it just occurred to me, you could have landed on you head! That could have been a pain. Funny aren't they, our priorities?

Michelle said...

Yeah.. well I was pretty worried about the foot, mostly about that too.. and to be perfectly honest I can't see myself ever falling on my head in any but the most extreme situation.. so I don't worry about it too much.

Ronald said...

Oh, okay.