2.28.2007

Feck off!

One thing I find amusing, and just a little annoying is fake swear words. Or not so much fake as words that are substitutes for a well known swear word, but not actually swearing. And people use them because they want to swear, but don't want to swear if you know what I mean.

It can be written, eg f**k, or purely verbal, like eg "effing". What I find amusing (albeit slightly annoying) about this is, that the person is basically telling you "I really want to say "fuck", but I won't so I'll use a word that sounds sort of like it and is to be interpreted in exactly the same way it would if I actually said "fuck".

Fuck! Why don't they just say fuck?

Now, of course when it's a clever way to get around censors on a tv show, and use a word that pretty much means exactly the same as "fuck" to the general public, but the network fogeys let it through, that's quite admirable, but when you're talking to people, or on your blog, why on earth can't you say what you mean? Sure there are some people who don't want to swear, and they don't. Meaning, if they had a terrible day, they say "Gosh! What a dreadful day I've had, it's just been awful!" instead of "Pluck me! I've had an effing 'orrible day!"

And sooner or later all of those words are going to evolve into actual swear words , and the people who want to swear without swearing will have to come up with something new. It's all rather vague on what actually constitutes swearing and what doesn't, and language changes very quickly these days, so really, who can be fucked to bother with all that? I can't.

Unless I'm being ironic of course, which is a completely different thing, it's cool, therefore ok. I say so, therefore it must be.

6 comments:

Ronald said...

Hehe! You been reading my mind? This is one of my pet hates. I remember one time I read a post where the author did the very thing, and asterisked the vowels out of the swear words. I gently chided them (that's a euphemism for 'taking the piss' in case you didn't know) for not having the balls (or should that be b*lls?) to show the words in full.

I love swear words, even when they're gratuitous, like now, for fucking instance. Well, what's the matter with the cunts, eh? Wankers!

Michelle said...

Well, to be honest, and I may have mentioned, that I have occasionally partook of a partial censoring of my own swearing, but, and I think I mentioned this, I've only done it ironically, which not only means I'm exempt from any criticism for it, I am to be commended for taking the proverbial wee wee out of this phenomenon so wittily. In my opinon.

Ronald said...

Yep, one thing I can say about you Michelle... you've always been a piss-taker.

You know what I hate the most? When, in place of 'oh shit!', we get, 'oh sugar!'. What the fuck is that all about. I've always thought expletives should be the spoken or written embodiment of our intense passion... the only words that will do to let the world know exactly how we feel. So how fucking passionate are the oh-sugarites?

I'm off to bed now, enjoy your evening and your broadband. You've waited long enough for it. Cheers!

Michelle said...

Goodnight.. I'm off to bed soon too, I'm frigging tired, been a punt of a day.

Anonymous said...

I get a good fucking laugh from watching them say "frack" on Battlestar Galactica. That use it in every context so there's no doubt what they're saying (it's an expletive and a description of sex). So why is FUCK any worse than FRACK? The arbitrariness of it is fucking hilarious.

El Cuervo said...

the whole word thing is really funny. Now there's a law in NYC forbidden the use of the N word! By now "the N word" ahs the same meaning as the actual word. Fuck this!