2.20.2007

My house ain't even got any windows...

I read proper newspapers sometimes, or at least read parts of articles linked by the blogs I read, and a recent one is basically about how young people today are behaving disgracefully, or at least how the young female people today are being disgraceful and "hooking up", having sex and not particularly fussed about that "love" thing. Anyway my basic take on it is that most likely there are still some young people who have and want relationships, some that are having sex for fun because they don't want to get involved right now, some that don't want to get involved until they meet someone who they really want to be involved with, and certainly some people who are living whichever way they are for fucked up reasons which has certainly never happened before this current destructive generation, but for now I'm going to take it easy and guess that civilization will continue to exist for a few more years.

The author, Laura Session Stepp has written a book titled, UNHOOKED, How Young Women Pursue Sex, Delay Love, and Lose at Both which of course I haven't read, but I've read the review, and this is my favourite part:

In the final chapter, Stepp writes a letter to mothers and daughters, in
which she warns the girls: "Your body is your property.... Think about the
first home you hope to own. You wouldn't want someone to throw a rock through the front window, would you?"
I think I'm going to start a blog series on sex metaphors, that is "sex as something extracted from the female body" metaphors, because there are so many of them and they're so bloody bad. I'll give Ms Stepp some credit here, at least she considers women to be the owners of the property that is their body unlike some others, but that's all I'm giving her credit for. She seems very confused about the idea of casual sex between two willing participants. I think there are just some people who just can't seem to grasp the concept that sometimes women just want to fuck. It's an alien concept, and they think that if a woman has sex with someone before some magic time which signifies it's ok, (ranging from being married to having 2 dinners paid for you depending on who's talking) she's being used and abused. You couldn't possibly let her decide for herself that it's what she wants. No she must be lying, or confused, and every time she fucks without getting the ring or equivalent it's as bad as having the windows in your house broken, but with your body instead.

I have another house metaphor.
Your body is like your house right? You live alone in your house. One day you invite a friend over, you watch tv, have some beers, talk, listen to music a bit and have a really nice time. Your friend stays the night on the couch because they don't want to drive after drinking beer. The next day they go home, after helping you clean up a bit. Now how would you feel after that? Just how would you feel after having shared your "house" in that way?
Sounds awful. And then your mother comes over and rants at you for not being clean enough, and for letting people into your house to use it and disrespect it and almost forbids you from ever having anyone over again, it's for your own good. You tell her to fuck off because it's your house and you can do whatever you want there, and this is exactly the reason you moved out of home. She gets pissed off and leaves. You call about a week later and say sorry and you make up. But you get the idea.

7 comments:

El Cuervo said...

Sadly that concept doesn't seem to fade away. It seems like guys are just predators taking advantage of this poor souls with no brains that women are portrayed. Apparently for these authors women cannot make a decision, and if they have casual sex it had to be because the man trapped them on a web of lies. At the end he always uses her!

Up until the day that mothers stop teaching all these retarded metaphors, there won’t be equality. A house! damn! Is she for real?

R Nicolas said...

It could all be blamed on Britney.

Seems to me that the "rock through window" metaphor is better suited for rape.

I would think that "soiling your carpet" would be better suited for her point.

But, I've read that women don't expect much in the whole broken window department anyway which would explain how the cost of two decent dinners would offset the cost of repairing a window.

And, are you saying that women should be allowed to think for themselves, AND enjoy life on their own terms!?

What kind of feminist, left-wing, heathen, fantasy-land did you grow up in!?

Seriously, where? So, I'll know where to tell my daughter to live.

Michelle said...

Don't know, mystical in your head land... that's where I live.

R Nicolas said...

Sounds peaceful.

Anonymous said...

Distinctive Pleasure
Dr. Ruth K. Westheimer

One therapeutic approach that I recommend frequently to women who would benefit from it, is the use of a vibrator.

Recently I discovered a new vibrator in France called the EROSCILLATOR. Actually it is not a vibrator as it oscillates rather than vibrates. but technical details are not so important to me as the fact that the EROSCILLATOR is more comfortable to use, absolutely safe and very, very effective.

"The Eroscillator really can make your sex life better. To my way of thinking, anything that accomplishes that goal is worth its weight in gold."

Great to relax the day's tension away
by a member from Charlotte, NC on Jan 28, 2007
A nice warm bath and a few minutes with my Eroscillator is all it takes to relax a day's worth of tension. My whole attitude changes.

Adie www.addi2ude.com

R Nicolas said...

Breaking your own windows?

Ronald said...

"I read proper newspapers sometimes". You'll be telling me next you can do joined-up writing! Anyway...

What's all this about "... having sex for fun"? You wouldn't say that if you were hung upside down wearing a leather jumpsuit and facemask, with yer privates exposed, and plumped up ready for beating with a wooden paddle. More like hard work I'd say...

I don't have an issue with the 'house metaphor'. I'd like to point out though, aren't people sometimes allowed in via the back door? I wonder what she'd say to that?

But not everyone lives in a house. Bedouin Arabs live in tents, and it's seen as hospitable to 'leave the flaps open', if you get my drift.

As a commuter I come across (no pun intended) a lot of attractive females, and as a red-blooded male, I can't help but wonder what it would be like to "throw a rock through their window" [thanks for that wonderful euphemism Michelle].

Finally... my apologies for taking up too much of your comment space and banging on, and on, and on... but you started it!