1.10.2013

It seems like what it is..

but it isn't.

I'm not speaking of anything in particular, just that sometimes this happens. Oh look.. it's word o' the day time.

pseudomorph:
\SOO-duh-mawrf\ , noun: 1. An irregular or unclassifiable form.
2. A mineral having the outward appearance of another mineral that it has replaced by chemical action.
It is clearly not maturation but a pseudomorph, yet it is a pseudomorph that claims a proximate relation to maturation by the intrinsic precariousness of maturation itself.
-- David L. Norton, Personal DestiniesHe blamed the sciences for reestablishing the mirage of truth, and still more thepseudomorph subjects like anthropology and economics whose adepts substituted inapplicable statistics for the ineptness of their insights.
-- Tom Sharpe, Porterhouse Blue
I like this word. It's quite long, got "pseudo" in it, and it means, I dunno.. something weird. Also googleable, I like that word too, although I'm not entirely convinced it's a word.. I mean, I know it's a word because I just said it, but it might not be really a real word, know what I mean? Maybe it's a pseudoword, if that's a thing. I think that should be a thing.

2 comments:

Ronald said...

I think 'pseudos' are some kind of Japanese wrestlers... big fat guys.

Michelle said...

Maybe that's what it is.