2.03.2009

Tuesday Stupid Questions nobody ever asks #2 - The Resurrection..

Funny, when I started this little theme many months ago I thought I had many more stupid questions in me. Obviously I was mistaken. Well I thought of a new one, so it's back. At least for this week. My question is:

If when you're overwhelmed you are.. well.. overwhelmed. And when you are underwhelmed you are less than impressed, then what does it mean when you're whelmed? Does it just mean that nothing unexpected happened? That you're not disappointed with how things turned out but it's no more than necessary? In other words.. just right? Well?

And, for a bonus I give you today's word o the day, seeing as I've been skimping on the dorkism of late.

defalcate

Hehe. It doesn't mean what you think it means, not that I know what you think it means, of course. It means to "take fraudulently", or in more detail, "to steal or misuse money or property entrusted to one's care."
So there you go.

5 comments:

Ronald said...

Did you know whelmed can mean, to submerge in water? Maybe that was its original meaning and gradually evolved to mean being submerged by feelings?

Defalcate? Well defrauding someone is a shitty thing to do.

Michelle said...

Whelmed? It has a real meaning? I didn't think of that, I find it much more fun to make up shit.

Michelle said...

And you're very right about defalcate, it is a fitting word, perhaps that was somehow intended...hmmmm.. makes you think..

Ronald said...

I couldn't think of anything better to do with whelmed so I cheated... I gurgled it in me bowser.

Michelle said...

Oh yes, it's just too easy in today's google culture..

it's ok, I forgive you :)