11.16.2006

Movies, beer and a couple of tossers.

Last night I was in the pub. I didn't really drink though, just one small beer that I didn't get to finish. We were filming another scene for the movie My Friend Ted.

Anyway, we were in The Three Lions, British pub. The guy who plays the main character knows the manager so we were able to film there. They have an upstairs and a downstairs, and downstairs was empty, so we filmed there. It might look a bit weird having a pub scene where there's no one in the pub but the people at a very crowded table, but things can be done with editing, and you really can't have everything when you're making a movie with no budget.

It was fun enough, we sat around a table with beers, which we couldn't drink during filming so as not to screw with the continuity, a small setback. My bit of acting consisted of looking pissed off through most of the scene and storming off in a huff at the end. I quite enjoyed that.

There was a small incident on set when some drunk British guys came downstairs where we were almost finished filming and wanted to be in the scene, in the background. They were under the impression we were somewhat famous, it seemed. Some of us just ignored them and some of us tried to convince them that no, they couldn't be in the scene because the others we filmed had an empty table there, so it kinda wouldn't look right. They were persistent, particularly one guy. He finally fucked off, but not before saying goodbye to each of us and shaking our hands, (wouldn't want to miss the opportunity of shaking hands with stars) but one guy in our group, (also a British gentleman) politely said goodbye without taking the offer to shake hands, I think he didn't think too much of this guy. Well, the visitor got rather offended and called him a tosser. He stood around for a minute more going on about what a tosser this guy is, before going off, ranting on about how this one guy who wouldn't shake his hand is a complete tosser. He ranted all the way up the stairs until his voice mingled in with the customers upstairs.

We finished our group scene and I was looking forward to drinking that beer, but first they needed it for the scene of the group before I and the main character arrive. So I let it be used as a prop. They finished and then we had to go upstairs to do the arriving at the pub scene. So we did that, and by the time I went downstairs they were clearing up everything, including the beer! My beer! I hadn't finished it!

Oh well. I got to drink about a 3rd of it. It was a small beer though.

Well, that's the last scene I'm going to be in, so that's it for me. Except for of course the overdubbing for the scene we did by the river, you see when you film outside, without microphones or anything, you can't really hear a fucking word of what the actors are saying, so I'll probably be in "the studio" sometime next week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the trouble with having a pub British-style, you get undesirables frequent there... and usually they're Brits. Most of them have no class and no sense of adventure. Of course, I'm not one of those. I'm sure if I went to Prague I'd be looking to get arseholed in a more traditional czech establishment. And as a visitor I'd ensure when total out-of-my-fucking-brain-ness occurred, I'd fall across an unoccupied table so as not to offend the natives. All vomiting, it goes without saying, would be done outside so as not to offend those dining.

Thanks for the inside information on film-making. I feel well-armed for the future should I venture into the business.

G'day.

Nick said...

Ah, Brits abroad, they're so charming and such a good advert for the country with their impeccable manners and desire to experience all the native culture of the country they're visiting has to offer. You won't catch them in a bar that looks just like their local at home complaining that you can't get a decent fried breakfast anywhere else in the country, oh no.

Michelle said...

Believe me, I know you have some decent people on that little island. I did live in England for a while and knew a lot of quite lovely people, some of them even men;) I usually get kind of annoyed when my friends here, mostly Americans, go on about "Brits" like it's some breed of uncouth, boorish individual, and argue with them that I've lived in England and I know better, but when I see cunts like the bloke the other night, I think "yeah, you got a point".

And I don't that it's a coincidence that the tosser who wouldn't shake his hand was British himself. I could sense he had a particular dislike of this guy because he was this sort of typical British character. You get that kind of thing a lot with expats, Americans too, I know a lot of them who really can't stand typical loudmouth knowitall Americans, which of course, is just a stereotype and none of them are really like that:)

Cranky McGee said...

Will 'My Friend Ted' be available to see in the US? I would enjoy seeing Mutant Cat on TV. I could tell my pirate friends that I 'knew' you before you were famous.

Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds fun. I hope you are enjoying it. It is always nice to get something you have wanted for so long. I hope the film is something we get to see.

Nick said...

I understand the handshaking thing - there's a certain class of British arsehole who seem to think shaking hands makes everything alright, ad if you agree to shake with them, they then believe (and act) that they were right about everything.

And I guess it would be a bit embarrassing to be British in Prague sometimes, given the number of stag weekends that go there because the beer's so cheap. Though I think many of them have moved on to Tallinn now.

Sorry, I'm just very bitter and cynical about some of my compatriots. Could be worse, though, I could be Australian *ducks for cover*.