11.29.2006

Mid 30s... and what have I done?

It's my birthday, as you'd know if you read yesterday's post. I'm 33. Today is the first day of my (early) mid 30s and to commemorate I'm going to count my blessings. Here we go.

#1. I have my own place. I mentioned yesterday that I'm happy about this. I'm a grownup now, or I should be, and there should be at least one thing about my life that in some way resembles the way an adult person is supposed to be living.

#2. I have the internet, and all the wonder that goes along with it. I have a computer on which I'm able to spend a lot of my time. Sure it's not my very own computer, I share it. Sure, I don't have it in my own home, but I get to use one, with almost no restrictions.

#3. I have a camera, and a passion for using it. And the existence of Flickr, that wonderful website that has inspired me to waste spend so much of my time taking photos, coming up with better ideas for photos, blogging photos, commenting on photos, talking about photos with other people on Flickr, talking about anything whether related to photography or not to people on Flickr. Though, I don't have my own camera, and it's not the greatest camera, it's a pretty crappy camera actually, but nevertheless...

#4. I can get a cat now if I want. I don't have one yet, but as I have my own place (see #1) I can whenever I want to. And I will! One of these days.

#5. Friends. Ok, I don't have many of these, and actually those people who are sort of my friends are only my friends because I either have to hang around him because I work with him, or because they're his friends so they're sometimes around. Still he's not so bad. And though my boyfriend is far away, on a different continent, he still seems to like me and writes to me sometimes.

#6. Though we haven't quite achieved world peace/equality for all/and end to world hunger etc, the world sure is a much better place than it was in the olden days. In some ways. In some parts of the world anyway. And the ways in which it is better, in the places that it is, it still really isn't as much better as it should be considering the year is 2006 but still....

#7. There is NO number 7!

Now, to the 2nd part of my birthday post. What have I done to justify my 33 years on this planet?

I have lived, since my birth all those years ago in Sydney Australia in, (not including Sydney, Australia itself) Česke Budějovice (sort of, for a while, and in a small village outside of it for some of that time), Dublin, Edinburgh, London and Prague. That's quite a lot of places.

And in that time, in those places I've.... um I've.

Oh look. I've lived in 6 different cities, in 4 different countries on 2 different continents. Give me a break already! I'm supposed to have DONE something while I was there? And there, and there and there?

Well, maybe I've sort of achieved a little. I have built up a business which I pretty much live on now (although I'm intending on getting a job, and this time it will be soon), and I pretty much learnt all I needed to about making websites and all that along the way, as I needed it. It's not a particularly well run business, in fact it's a shambles, and my knowledge of html and the like isn't enough to get me a job making websites for other people, it's just what I need to know for what I do.

I've been in some films. Not a real film, just some student and amateur ones. I've done some stage work, not like a real play, with a script and proper role or anything, but I've done stuff on stage, (or in a cafe) like sing badly, or improvise badly.

And I've also taken lots of photos, I've written lots of stuff. I've learnt a lot of new things because somebody put it up on the internet. I've met people, gone to bars, gone to restaurants, walked around, had sex with people, had arguments, moved house a bunch of times...

I think I'll have that beer now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you! To the most intriguing cat of the universe! I'll definitely have a beer tonight, and I dedicate it to you! May your outshining beauty - inside and outside - never fade!
A triple Cheers!

Ihsan said...

Happy belated birthday Michelle! I saw your photos on flickr and ended up on your blog. You are such a sweet and interesting lady!

Anonymous said...

So you lived in Dublin. Wet, wasn't it? And grey. But the fish and chips...mmm, mamma!