11.21.2006

Ugh, why do I bother?

I went to another casting at the film school last night, and of course, no reply from any of the film makers. It's still early in the day but I know there isn't going to be one, I could tell that they were thoroughly unimpressed when I finished my improv last night. They didn't seem to impressed with the dude who was in there with me, but it wouldn't be surprised me if they happen to need someone who looks and sounds just like him for a part that needs little skill so gets a role.

It really sucks because I could really use the money. Yeah sure, I got the main part in this other film I've been doing and the director seems impressed with me and all that, but there's no money in this thing. There isn't that much in the student films either but at least there's some. And this one is their final year films, so it would be more substantial roles and the films are shot over 2 days, so the little money would be more than I ever got doing any of the others, which were all more than a year ago by the way.

I didn't even feel like going anywhere last night. It's cold and it gets dark early, but I thought, there's a chance! Until I walked into the room full of film students with this American dude. We introduced ourselves and sat down. No one seemed interested in giving us a scenario to try, so it seemed no one was impressed with us right from the start. Then some British dude, noting that I was Australian gave us a scene at a beach, where I'm Australian and hate Americans, he's American and hates Australians but for some reason comes to talk to me. It was dumb, and I played it dumb. The dude played it dumber. I shouldn't judge the guy based on 4 and a half minutes of being in his presence but he came across as kind of dumb. He's from New York and claims he's a stand up comic. And judging (unfairly of course) from the 4 and a half minutes I spent in the same room as him, I'm pretty sure I'd find his comedy pretty unfunny. Of course I have very high standards for that sort of thing, I mean, anyone who reads this blog regularly knows I have a very highly intelligent, unique sense of humour. So unique there's only about 3 people in the world who get it, it seems.

Then we had to do a scene where I was a bank manager and he came to apply for a loan. Thanks a fucking lot! What the fuck do I know about banks and loans and things? That's for grown up people! So I went on about collateral and income and employment and whatever else I've heard on television when they talk about these things, and overall was pretty crap.

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to get a job already. Dammit!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what you get for trying your hand at the most frustrating career in the world. I suspect you're just venting and wouldn't consider giving up but even if you attained some significant succes you'd probably have to keep dealing with shitty people and shitty situations like that :)

Anonymous said...

I've told you this before. As an ordinary member of the human race, I'm amazed at what you're prepared to go through in your attempts to get work. You speak so casually of going into rooms full of strangers and doing imromptu improv, and... with every liklihood of rejection. Do you realise how frightening that prospect is for 99% of the world's population? If it were me, I'd have to get shitfaced and still you'd have to put a gun to my head. You have grit. I take my hat off to you.

Here's a thought. Maybe God is preventing you from getting the better parts. Look at all the times you've poked fun at him and his family. You ever considered praying?

Michelle said...

God is punishing me? I've known that for years, but I get so much material out of mocking him, I couldn't give it up, and anyway, if I did give up and become celibate and devote my life to him, he'd probably still fuck with me, just cause he can, you know, like Salieri. So what the fuck!

Michelle said...

Sorry, 'Him".

Anonymous said...

Maybe a penance is in order. Self-flagellation, perhaps?

Anonymous said...

i'm confused love, are you from Australia or Prague?

maybe thats why you don't get any parts?!