7.10.2006

I know this is terrible but...

Man dies hoisting flag for World Cup final

ROME (Reuters) - A 77-year-old Italian man fell off a ladder and died as he tried to attach Italy's flag to a pole ahead of Sunday's World Cup final against France. ADVERTISEMENT

The man, Rodolfo Profili, was raising the flag on a patch of land he owned near the central Italian city of Viterbo when he apparently lost his balance and fell eight metres into a precipice, Italian news agency ANSA reported.
Ok I'm not that horrible. Italy, the team which for reasons regarding earlier incidents in the championship I especially didn't want to see win. So of course they won! At least I didn't bet against them. I don't really care anymore, that whole football/soccer thing is over and I can get on with my sport free life. Poor guy though.
ANSA quoted local police as saying the man died instantly, still clutching the tricolore.
And he didn't even get to see his team win.

3 comments:

Cranky McGee said...

I bet he died happy at least. He probably waited his whole life for Italy to win. It was God's plan for him to die at that time.

Anonymous said...

We had a betting pool here, with bets placed prior to the start of the 2nd round matches on which team would win the cup. I picked Italy to win, so ended up with a little pocket money.

epikles said...

i'm betting that nobody bet on an old man kicking it that way - and i thought they had odds for everything! probably even now there are odds on what Materazzi said to Zidane.