7.17.2010

Something you didn't know..

I'm making assumptions here, based on probability, or something, about people who I know nothing to very little about. Ok so one person.. most likely.

Anyway, I bet you didn't know that the elephant is the only mammal that can't jump. You may have known that actually, I don't really know it just seems like the kind of thing a lot of people wouldn't know because of reasons such as a) it being a useless bit of information, b) being something most of us don't care about and c) probably some other reason.

On top of that, I'm not entirely sure it's even true, ie not actually an actual fact as the source I got it from isn't the most reliable. It was tv. And it wasn't a documentary it was sort of a throwaway line by one of the characters, someone who as far as we know isn't an expert on this sort of thing.

I could google it and find out if it's true, but it's more fun this way.

4 comments:

Ronald said...

I don't believe I did know that fact, though I'm often aware I possess a lot of "forgotten trivialities", buried deep in my mind; so occasionally, when they're brought to mind by someone, I claim, "I used to know that!". Not sure if that counts as knowledge though. Bet elephants can't spit either.

Michelle said...

Right.. well that just brings up another question. If you used to know something but have now forgotten it, is that the same as not knowing? I mean.. I spose technically you know, you just forgot, sort of.

of course, I don't know how you know you used to know it if you forgot it. Unless you forgot it until such time as you were reminded of it by my post, in which case you probably still knew it you just didn't happen to be thinking about it at the time..

*wonders if elephants can spit, but not for very long because a) it seems unlikely that they can, b) it's not really all that important one way or another and c)*mind starts wondering to other stuff, like will we ever get that water heater working properly today so we can i. have hot water, and ii. not have the actual heaters come on which is completely unnecessary in this ridiculous heat, or in fact heat at all).

*breathes*

Ronald said...

That's a very interesting philosophopholical question you ask there... how do I know I'd forgotten it? Hmmm... I guess I remembered knowing it... a kind of deja vu, perhaps? That make sense?

Spitting. It might not be important to you, but it is to the elephant if he's just taken a gobful of a bad pint... imagine not being able to spit it out!

Boilers! I hate them. That's the heater kind, of course. Taken sooo much for granted, then they stop working or go haywire. You realise then, they're the most important thing in the Universe, bar none.

Oh, you had a job-related meeting the other day, did it go well?

Michelle said...

Oh.. I just met someone who's planning to make a film.. he seems semi-professional but we left with him saying he'd get back to me when progress has progessed a bit more.. I guess so who knows if a)he was just being friendly and polite and whatnot and isn't interested in me being in the film, or b) if the damn thing even happens...

or something.. I'll see.