1.25.2007

5 things

I've been tagged by Ron for this meme, in which I am to tell you all 5 things about me, which you may not necessarily know. Now before I get into it I must tell you that I'm not the sort of person who opens up about their deepest held secrets, so if the following revelations are somewhat shallow or things you already know, well.. sorry.

#1. I never go anywhere. People who know a little about me, perhaps who read this blog might think I'm an adventurous, well travelled sort of person who gets around a lot, due to the fact I "emigrated" and have lived in a few different places over recent years. This is not true. Most of the times I've actually travelled over the last 10 years have been the times I moved from one place to another. I've been in Prague for almost 7 years, and the last time I left the Czech Republic was when I went to France the last time my mother was here.. she took me and my then boyfriend on a trip. I don't even know when the last time I actually went outside of the city of Prague is.

#2. I hate sports. I'm not interested in them, and I don't like playing them. This goes back to my childhood in Australia where I was terrible at sports and dreaded sport day in school coming along. Anyone with similar experiences knows why, the always being the last one to get picked for teams, the jeering when you fuck up, the being generally unpopular because all the popular kids are sporty ones..

None of this wasn't helped by the fact that I thought that everyone else liked sports. It was an afternoon out of class for one thing and a lot of kids did seem to really look forward to it, though I would greatly prefer classes in anything myself. I vaguely remember a speech given by a principle once, about how great sport was and how we loved sports and looked forward to it every week. I thought it was weird that he was telling us how we felt about something, though it did seem to me that, apart from myself he had it right. In later school of course I realised there were others like me, and perhaps he was trying to mind control us into being more enthusiastic about sports because a lot of the kids were kind of lazy about it and weren't competitive enough.. I don't know.

#3. I have a deformed left index finger. Well, it's not really deformed, just cut, stitched up and funny shaped. This happened when I was in Dublin 10 years ago. I was working in a bar/diner place which was kind of a cheesy pop/disco joint which got very crowded on the weekends. It was a particularly busy night, and I was rushing around trying to get 20 things done at once, one of my jobs was to change the kegs so I rushed down to the cellar to do it and tried to do it as quickly as possible when I got my finger smashed between 2 when I was trying to move it over. I got taken to the hospital and got it stitched up. I had to wait a long time in the hospital which was annoying but I heard some interesting stories from other people who were waiting there with me, and their Saturday night injuries, one guy had got into a fight with someone at a Radiohead concert and got his nose bit. I don't know how bad the bite was, it was bandaged up. I carried on like a baby while the doctor was doing the stitching, it rather hurt, being the very tip of my finger that was being stitched. Anyway ever since then I've had a funny shaped finger.

#4. I don't like fish. I don't mean I have no regard for the beautiful scaly creatures that swim our oceans and rivers, I mean I don't like the taste of them. The far majority anyway, the only kind I like are your English battered fish and chips sort of fish, and I can tolerate fish fingers (very classy I know), but pretty much anything else I don't like. I don't like the bones and I don't like the taste. I know a lot of people don't just like fish but have a particular love for it, but I think those people are sick perverts and should be sent off to a camp somewhere. There are some things that are just too weird.

#5. I've tried probably every drug there is, at least once. Perhaps not every single kind of acid or pill out there, but when you're talking generally about the different types, I've probably tried it. Some were just a one off try to see what it was like, and others I dabbled in a bit more, though never really that much.. at most it was almost every weekend for a couple of months while I was going out to clubs and squat parties. When it comes down to it I've mostly been a boozer, and to be honest, not even so much that. Well maybe, it's all relative I suppose.

That's all. Now I'm supposed to tag other people so I give this to Don, Kittie and A Simple Girl who are free to take this or ignore this as they wish. Apologies if any of you have done this before, my memory in't what it were....

4 comments:

Ronald said...

Due to being a little 'dense' it took me a long time to work out what you are like as a personality. Basing my judgments on the little you came forth with, plus my liking for gross speculation, I had you figured as a rampant, have back-pack will travel, in yer face, kind of a girl. Then slowly, it dawned, you were not unlike me and many others I'd met online, inasmuch as, you have a particular Internet persona, as opposed to how you present yourself in "real life". Of course, I may stand corrected on this. Anyway, I'm not surprised to hear you're not the adventurous type, despite your intrepid Net escapades :-)

"I have a deformed left Index finger". I knew there was something different about you, but I just couldn't put it on your finger! [sorry, there's kind of a joke in there... somewhere] Anyway, I think you're so brave having to bear this hideous deformity. You plucky girl!

I was appalled to hear your blasphemy concerning the fruits of the sea. But then you redeemed yourself by professing a liking for good old Fish 'n Chips. Bless you.

You bad girl getting into all those drugs. Stick to alcohol which is "proper" and not evil like all that "Johnny Foreigner" stuff.

Thanks for the tag. I'm finding writing so difficult these days, I'll be glad of an excuse to ramble on aimlessly about myself. Cheers.

R Nicolas said...

I am glad to hear that there are other people in the world who are willing to express profound dislike for sports. Such dislike for sports is almost taboo here, especially now. But, I will admit that I like to watch international events like the World Cup and Olympics, but those things almost never involve sports that cause me to reminisce about being the runt all through school.

El Cuervo said...

I'm so with you regarding thr fish situation. I used to love it, but then once I had a bad experience at a restaurant and ever since then I cannot even stand the smell of it. I tried a lot of times to give it a second chance but I just failed again and again.

It is amazing the things that you can hear and learn on an emergency room, especially on the weekends!

Anonymous said...

I got this "5 things" meme too (twice) and pretty much ignored it. Weirdly enough, I have a significant amount of crossovers with your list.

I never go anywhere - just had my first O/S trip in about 7 years. I hate sport and am no good at any sport (as you pointed out, quite an affliction for an Australian). I have a deformed middle finger that got smashed by a cricket ball (I HATE SPORT!) I hate the taste of fish. You outdo me on the drugs front - a bit of acid and speed in my youth and not much else.

Are you spooked now?