5.18.2012

Might just have to work this into the job..

spruik

just so happens to be the word o' the day. It means..

spruik \sprook\  , verb:
To make or give a speech, especially extensively; spiel.
He started to spruik again, but I managed to get in first.
-- C.E. Murphy, Raven CallsCain and Leek spruik their foul and immoral stories by the fire at night and the rest of the men grow excited and the mood of the camp becomes restless.
-- Tim Winton, ShallowsDon't go into your spruik for me. I don't care what words you call it.
-- A. E. Martin, The OutsidersSpruik is Australian slang that arose in the early 1900s. It is of unknown origin.
Dictionary.com Entry and Pronunciation for spruik
It's even Australian slang.. never heard of it, but I guess I'll ahve to do it.. in my upcoming (hopefully) gig as a tour guide.. again. Speaking of tour guiding and Australians.. it seems to be some kind of export industry for them (us I suppose, really) folk.. half this company seems to be Australians, well at least 2 of them.. I've met so far, and you can hear tons around the centre, if you listen.

No comments: