1.19.2009

Word o the other day

I'm being a dork today, and it's Monday so that means it's word time. Today's word is obscure which isn't really appropriate for the purposes of this post.. (hehe, there's a plethora of ps for you) I mean don't get me wrong, it's a great word and one I have reason to use often, it's just too common for Monday...

So I went back in time and found a word I like, narcolepsy. I know what you're thinking, I seem to be drawn to words that sound rude. Well you're right about that, but fortunately (or un depending on your opinion) it's not rude at all. It means sleeping sickness. In more detail:

narcolepsy \NAHR-kuh-lep-see\, noun:a disorder characterized by
uncontrollable bouts of sleepiness during the daytime, occasional loss of muscle
power and paralysis, and hallucinations during sleep

This story of Sleeping Beauty centers on the independent, headstrong Briar Rose, a.k.a. Sleeping Beauty who suffers a persistent and seemingly incurable case of narcolepsy.-- Denver Post, 2008-02-08

Doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. But I still like the way it sounds.

Have a happy Monday. Dork on!

1 comment:

Ronald said...

Narcoleplsy! now there's a good.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!