9.06.2010

When accuracy is wrong.

I've lamented, once or twice, certain people's tendency to misuse apostrophes. Mostly when people put extra apostrophes where they are not needed, this is something highly offensive to me.. as you would know if you've read like.. anything here ever.. (except for the posts which don't actually mention anything at all about apostrophes which when I think about it is the far majority but that's beside the point) and it's wrong.

Sometimes it's correct to use an apostrophe. When you're indicating a possessive for instance. Actually that's kinda it.. that's what they're for.. and it's all well and good when it's included in such instances, and of course, grossly incorrect to leave it out..

I guess technically.. decades are somehow a possessive of.. whatever it is you're talking about when you mention them.. though I can't figure out what.. for instance "the 50's" or "my 30's"

*thinks about it for a bit*

not exactly sure, but I'm sure it's right somehow because according to the internet and other stuff where well educated people write they generally use this.

Well I don't like it. Not because it may or may not be correct.. in fact I'm sure it is due to the factors I mentioned earlier, but because it sucks. The 50s is better. So is my 30s. And that's what I'll always use and if you don't like it well.. well. I don't care!

9 comments:

Ronald said...

I'm easy about this. I find myself using both 30s and 30's. As for the possessive "it's" as opposed to "its", well, I've said it before... I know how it works but in my haste, I fuck up occasionally. What really annoys me is getting "your" when "you're" is needed! Grrr!

Michelle said...

Well.. I may have admitted that I make mistakes like that as much as anyone.. and in fact if it could potentially be a typo I'm not so bothered.. it's when someone has demonstrated that they very deliberately put in unnecessary apostrophes that it irks me.. irks me I say! But no more of that.. that isn't even the point of the post..

I just plane don't like the 60's etc. It looks wrong, it feels wrong.. it's just... I think I already mentioned my feelings on it..

Michelle said...

Oh and your and you're..

unforgivable.

Although I often make those mistakes in a hurry... but I deserve the punishment for that as much as anyone else who writes it.

Michelle said...

ditto they're and there.. and their

Michelle said...

oh and ditto.. that's such a pretentious stupid word.. and I just used it so what does that say about me?

Ronald said...

Gosh, you sound ever so cross!

How's the thingy going, you know, the wotchamacallit you mentioned not so long ago? Any progress?

Michelle said...

Oh the thing I mentioned not so long ago! That went well.. and it's looking good.. thanks for asking :)

More details later as I get them..

*looks all mysterious and stuff*

Ronald said...

FUCKING WOW!

Redhand said...

Years ago I wrote a book and used apostrophes in things like 1940's and B-17's. My editor said, "No," it's 1940s and B-17s, etc. so that's how I write them, mostly.

You must be familiar with Eats, Shoots & Leaves yes, no?

PS, found your blog via Sascha Funke - When will I be Famous after clicking Angry Aussie at When will I be famous? and visiting his blog.