11.17.2009

20 Years On..

No, this is not about Berlin, the wall, my recent visit or whatnot. It's about here, the Czech Republic and the 20th anniversary of the Velvet Revolution. I thought I should mention it. It happened 20 years ago.. :)

Things have changed a lot, of course. I wasn't here in 89, or 92, or 95. I was here in 96 and people were already talking about how it was in the early 90s.. by the time I came back in 2000 it was already a completely different place and that was 9 years ago so.. yeah. If you read an article about it (one for international audiences as I'm assuming my readers* will be reading it in English) it will mention that this is a country in political turmoil. Every article about the Czech Republic says that. It's funny to read that because otherwise I forget there's anything resembling turmoil happening.. you really wouldn't know from living here ;).

20 years. I remember when it happened, I was in Australia and it was on the news, of course to our family it was a big deal. I remember it well as I was old enough. Old enough to remember it clearly, and it was 20 years ago. Make of that what you will. Yes, I am making it about myself.

There's stuff going on today, a re-enactment, some festivities. Might catch some, might photograph. Might listen to the music. Might drink. Ok scratch the word "might" from that last one.

*Yeah I know I'm being presumptuous here, but I like the sound of it.

No comments: