5.26.2019

Dear Internet..

I know I've said this before, I vaguely remember bringing it up, but it was a long time ago and you obviously didn't listen, so...

You don't need to include an apostrophe every time you write a word that ends in 's'! Ok. If it is a plural, as many s ending words are, an apostrophe is unnecessary, and in fact inaccurate. For example the sentence "the dogs were barking" doesn't need one.

So when do you use the apostrophe? Well if you were to write " the dog's barking was loud" then it is appropriate to use one, as it signifies ownership. See? Easy. At least it should be.

Another reason to use the apostrophe is for contractions, ie don't won't isn't etc. I can't think of one that ends in 's' so I don't know if this counts, but you know how to use them now. If you don't then study this please before getting back out there and writing your comments about dragon's and handmaid's because I don't want to see this again. And I have more lessons coming soon so get this one learned, please.

Thank you.

7 comments:

Montgomery said...

I've noticed recently, especially amongst Americans, when talking of say, an individuals impressive sporting performance they often say he or she "shined"! I'm hearing this more and more. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I feel the "correct" word is "shone". But perhaps it's optional? What think you?

Michelle said...

Hmmm, interesting one. The wordn"shone" seems like the correct one, but in that context "shined" seems more fitting. Not sure.

One that gets me is the word "coronated". A word you probably don't hear much but me being a tour guide in a European city I overhear it often. Yes, it's a coronation, but the verb past context is "crowned". I think. But what do I know, I don't even know when to use single verses double quotes. Or the correct pronunciation of 'baroque'.

Montgomery said...

I heard the word "coronated" for the first time recently. I think this is a genuine synonym of "crowned". But, like your good self, what the fuck do I know?

Michelle said...

Well according to some university guy (got this on google) "coronate is improperly derived from coronation" and crowned is the proper word for, well, crowned. So it appears I do know something. Coronated is a word but it means crown shaped, or something. *doesn't feel smug or anything*

Montgomery said...

Well... ultimately, words that are "improperly" used, if used frequently and for long enough, become accepted as "correct". Languages are organic and change comes from use only, not by decree :)

Michelle said...

Good point. But coronate is still not a word.

Michelle said...

I mean yes it's a word but not that word.