5.19.2009

I thought it was too easy.

A few days ago I went and got myself a wireless adapter thingy in order to be online on the other computer, my computer. I mean, I'm online on this one, Erik's comp, the laptop and that's fine, but there are photos and programs and stuff on mine which I like to be able to access, it's also a desktop, which is easier for me to do stuff on and it has more space, runs smoother.. all sorts of things.

Now, you might be wondering why I'm referring to "this" computer being not the one I'm speaking of, seeing as I got an adapter for that one, well, read on.

I brought it home, stuck it in, immediately got a little icon pop up and a wizard asking me to install new hardware, I installed the driver, etc etc etc. Did all that and was online. Amazing. I know that's supposed to happen, and they make things simple nowadays, for folks like me who spend most of their time on a computer but nevertheless don't know much about hardware and the nitty gritty sort of stuff, but it still surprised me, as every time I try to do something new it gives me a hard time before (usually) inevitably working, but not as easy as they always tell you in the shop.

Here again, you might be wondering about the "other" computer reference, seeing as I succeeded in getting online on this "other" computer. Keep reading.

Well, Friday and the weekend I coasted on happily, getting used to being able to use the mouse, revisiting all my old links that I forgot about, having more room for stuff, accessing and being able to upload all those photos...

then yesterday (Monday) as I was doing whatever I was doing, there was a little message I got saying if I used a high speed port I could get a faster connection, so I thought hmm, why not" and tried it in another port. I didn't get to find out if it was faster or not, because after about half a minute my icon disappeared and the internet went off.

I didn't know what it was at first so I tried a bunch of stuff, don't remember the details now. I tried all the other ports and none of them worked. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program but it made no difference, no icon and the light wasn't coming on. I tried all sorts of different things but it doesn't matter it didn't work. Today after turning the computer on I tried again just in case it would magically come back but no. Gone.

So I'm on this computer, and I know it's a bit of a whine, as I'm obviously online and it's not the worst thing in the world, but a) all the reasons stated at the beginning, and b) I just bought the fucking thing and when you buy things they're supposed to fucking work, and keep working.. at least for a few months or years or so for fucks sake!

In a little while I'm going to take it to the shop and see what they say, if they either replace it, fix it, or tell me the mystery of why it's not working. I still have the receipt, the box it came in, with the little cardboard holder, and the bag they gave me with it, one of the benefits of having the thing fuck up on me so early, so I should get someone to give me the time of day, but I already know what's going to happen, so I will now do something a little unorthodox and give you the history of what will happen when I go there. Ready?

"Hi I bought this 3 days ago and it quit working on me, it was working fine until (etc etc etc, story I told you already)"

"Oh, that's odd" *looks at receipt, takes the whatsit and sticks it in a usb of a nearby computer, thingy lights up and computer shows an icon* it's working fine now"

"but it wasn't working on my computer, it didn't work yesterday, I tried it in every port, and today again it didn't work, it didn't light up, it didn't do anything"

"Well it's working now"
End scene.

No comments: